Become A Broker

Insurance brokers help their clients find the insurance policies that best fit their needs. It’s a broker’s job to create partnerships with insurance companies and act as an intermediary to ensure that every-day people are protected by the correct policy if the worst should happen. Brokers provide stability, protection and hope by helping their clients pick a policy when times are good, and helping them navigate and manage their losses when times get tough.

Become a Broker

This page was designed to start you down the path to becoming an insurance broker. Once you’ve read our frequently asked questions below, check out our career centre to find which brokerages from across the province are waiting for you to send in your resume and start your new career.

Your New Career is Waiting...

Click the button below to find local job opportunities.


Nearly anyone

A general insurance broker can realistically find themselves working to insure individuals or commercial enterprises. As the insurance industry is interwoven through nearly every other industry, any and all professional backgrounds can provide a functional base from which to begin your career in insurance. Click here to read all of the requirements necessary to become an insurance broker.

Earn your Level 1 license

In order to sell general insurance within the province of Alberta you must first become licensed. Typically, it's a lot easier to get in with a brokerage if you’ve already passed your Level 1 Licensing exam. However, some brokerages will take you on as a prospective broker and help you through the licensing process. Check out our career centre to see who is hiring near you.

Two methods: CAIB or AIC Exams

In order to acquire your general insurance license you have two paths to consider: the CAIB Designation, or AIC General insurance licensing exams. Many students who become licensed by means of AIC licensing exams still opt to earn a designation later in their career.

CAIB Designation

Many students prefer to opt for their CAIB designation due to a higher success rate, national recognition, and the deeper level of general insurance knowledge provided by the program. CAIB is a nationally recognized professional designation designed for brokers to gain their insurance license and further their career. Click here to learn more.

AIC Licensing Exams

Licensing hopefuls study for the AIC licensing exam by either engaging in one of the self-study options or participating in a licensing immersion course. This path is exclusive to Alberta, and managed largely by the AIC. There is one exam per license level. Click here to learn more.

It depends on your other occupation

There are regulatory limits on what types of alternative career an active insurance license holder can carry. These limits are in place to prevent the potential for an individual to be in a position to exercise undue influence or coercion over the population they serve or being engaged in another occupation or business that would place the individual in a conflict of interest position when acting as an insurance agent. The location of the occupation or business is irrelevant.

To view full details from the AIC on what these occupations are, please review this document.

CE Certificates

Every licensed broker is required to maintain their license through continued education. A minimum of 15 CE credits must be submitted to the AIC each year on or before June 30th in the form of CE certificates. CE certificates can be earned through a variety of means. The IBAA offers a range of CE accredited courses, webinars, and events. Accredited courses will earn you CE credits depending on the number of instructional hours within the course, i.e. if you attend a course for 2 hours, you will receive a CE certificate worth 2 credits.

Failure to maintain your license for two consecutive years will result in your license expiring. An expired license must be reapplied for through completion of either CAIB or licensing examinations.

First step is acquiring a Level 3 license

All brokerages require a level 3 license designated representative. This representative does not necessarily need to be the owner. Earning a level 3 license will take a minimum of 2 years. You also require sponsorship from at least one insurance company in order to be considered a brokerage.